Using xlCompare to compare Excel workbooks.
On the Excel Compare and Merge
ribbon xlCompare shows comparison commands:
- Compare Ranges - select 2 ranges of cells and compare only cells
- Compare Sheets - select 2 worksheets compare only cells on these sheets
- Compare Names - compare Named Items in 2 workbooks
- Compare VBA Projects - compare all modules in the VBA Projects in 2 workbooks
- Compare Workbooks - complete comparison of 2 workbooks (all cells, named items and VBA modules are compared)
Compare Workbooks command allows you to select already opened workbooks for comparison, or open
workbook using [...] button.
This is all! Now click Compare button and get the results. xlCompare performs comparison in one click!
When comparison is completed, you get the comparison report, like this:
Difference Explorer window contains list of all found discrepancies. For the each item you can get additional
information about discrepancy. xlCompare clearly explains why cells were marked as different.
Workbook comparison is only a part of the xlCompare functionality. If also allows you to merge workbooks and
resolve found discrepancies.
- Difference Explorer toolbar has commands which resolve discrepancy in one click.
- drag and drop data between 3 worksheets.
- Use Copy, Cut and Paste commands in same way as in Excel. Copy data from one range and paste it into anoter.
- Edit cell directly in the comparison report window as in the Excel.
Another merging features are described in the Help Library
Comparison report may be exported into another workbook or text file.
xlCompare can be used for version control. This tool has Command Line mode and desktop utility,
which can be used to do workbook comparison from another application.